Welcome to the Racine Literacy Council's Tutor Orientation
The Racine Literacy Council is a volunteer-based organization that provides adult literacy programs in Racine County and works to bring awareness to the community regarding the impact and importance of literacy. The primary focus of the Racine Literacy Council is to address the literacy needs in our community through individual or small group tutoring by trained volunteer tutors. Tutors do not need to have teaching experience or know a foreign language.
The ever-increasing numbers of adults who want to learn English or improve their basic literacy skills are in need of dedicated tutors committed to strengthening Racine County’s families, workforce, and communities through literacy. If you would like to provide this crucial element in helping adults achieve specific life skill goals, join us.
There are a few steps to becoming an RLC tutor:
- Attend a brief online training session (1-1.5 2hrs) to become more familiar with specifics about our program along with a variety of techniques you can use with students right away.
- Complete some at-home training (3-4 hours)
- Shadow a tutoring session virtually or in-person.
- Monday evening, 6-8 pm
- Wednesday morning, 9-11 am
- Saturday morning, 10-12 pm